Trainers completed a total of 24 Global Challenges during Pokémon Go Fest 2021 to gain access to Ultra Unlock Part Three: Sword and Shield. Hoopa caused a stir during day two of the event, bringing back all Legendary Raids again, and now he’s back to cause even more harm. An entire generation to come, Hoopa will bring a handful of Galarian Pokémon in the latest Ultra Unlock event! Luckily, at iMore we’ve got everything you need to know to make the most of this event, and don’t forget to check out our best Pokémon Go accessories so you can be fully equipped on your Pokémon journey!
What are Ultra Unlock Bonuses?
As is the tradition with Pokémon GO Fest events, Ultra Unlock Bonuses are rewards that players can earn for everyone by completing challenges. Throughout the first day of Pokémon GO Fest 2021, Trainers had over 30 Global Spinning Habitat challenges. All eight challenges completed by players around the world earned an additional Ultra Unlock event week for a total of three events.
The first two Ultra Unlocks focused on time, with the debut of Shiny Dialga, and space, with the debut of Shiny Palkia. This led many to speculate that the latest Ultra Unlock would make its Arceus debut, while others suspected that we would instead get Hoopa, which made so much noise during Pokémon Go Fest 2021. However, Niantic gave players a really surprising twist by skipping Arceus, Hoopa and the entirety of Gen VII.
Ultra Unlock, Part 3: Sword and Shield
The final theme for the Ultra Unlock event has finally been announced, and to everyone’s surprise, the theme is Sword and Shield. Ahead of the release of the Gen VII Alola region, trainers will be able to take on two Legendary Pokémon from the Galar region, the mascots of Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield, Zacian and Zamazenta!
Additionally, a handful of other Galarian Pokémon will also debut, along with Shiny Forms for a number of regional Galarian variants. The event will run from Friday August 20 to Tuesday August 31, 2021 and will be split into two one-week events.
Potentially shiny Pokémon are marked with an asterisk.
The following Pokémon have increased spawns:
The following Pokémon hatch from friend eggs within 7 km:
There are two weeks of Raids for this event featuring the legendary mascots Zacian and Zamazenta. These two will debut in Pokémon Go in their Heroes of Many Battles form, with Zacian appearing first from Friday August 20 through Thursday August 26, followed by Zamazenta from Thursday August 26 through Wednesday September 1. Other Galarian Pokémon, Unown U, Snorlax, and Lapras also appear in raids during the event.
First week raids
- Galarian Slowpoke (one star)
- Galarian Farfetch’d * (one star)
- Unown U * (one star)
- Galarian Zigzagoon * (one star)
- Galarian Weezing * (three stars)
- Lapras * (three stars)
- Machamp (three stars)
- Zacian (five stars)
- Mega Beedrill * (Mega)
Second week of raids
- Galarian Meowth * (one star)
- Galarian Ponyta * (one star)
- Unown U * (one star)
- Galarian Darumaka (one star)
- Snorlax * (three stars)
- Galarian Stunfisk * (three stars)
- Zamazenta (five stars)
- Mega Pidgeot * (Mega)
During the event, Professor Willow needs help with Timed Research to gain encounters with Galarian Pokémon.
The first step
- Send five gifts to friends for five big balls
- Catch eight Pokémon for five Razz Berries
- Defeat two Team GO Rocket grunts for an encounter with Pikachu
Completion rewards: 888 XP, five Ultra Balls, ten PokéBalls
- Strengthen Pokémon five times for ten Super Potions
- Catch ten Pokémon for five revives
- Fight in the Pokémon Go Battle League for a Meowth encounter
Completion rewards: 888 XP, ten Ultra Balls
- Evolve two Pokémon for five Pinap Berries
- Catch five Normal-type Pokémon for a Galarian Meowth encounter
- Beat four Team GO Rocket grunts for a butter-free encounter
Completion rewards: 888 XP, five Ultra Balls, 15 PokéBalls
- Use ten berries to help catch Pokémon for a Skwovet encounter
- Catch eight different species of Pokémon for a Galarian Farfetch’d encounter
- Win a raid for an encounter with Gengar
Completion rewards: 888 XP, five Ultra Balls, ten Great Balls
- Earn 12 hearts with your Pokémon buddy for a Wooloo encounter
- Catch eight different species of Pokémon for a Galarian Stunfisk encounter
- Win a raid in less than a minute for a Snorlax encounter
Completion Rewards: Rare Candy, five Ultra Balls, 25 PokéBalls
During the event, players will be able to spin PokéStops and Gyms for event-exclusive Field Research tasks to earn encounters with Skwovet, Wooloo, Falinks, and more!
- Defeat three Team GO Rocket grunts for a Farfetch Galarian encounter
- Earn five hearts with your Pokémon buddy for a Wooloo encounter
- Spin ten PokéStops or Gyms for five PokéBalls
- Take a Snapshot of a Wild Pokemon for Two Pinap Berries
- Use seven berries to help catch Pokémon for a Skwovet encounter
- Win two raids for a meeting with Falinks
Players will be able to purchase new event-exclusive gift stickers and avatar-style items during the event:
- Galarian Gym Challenger Uniform
- Dragon type sports outfit
- Dark type sports uniform
Questions about the third part of Ultra Unlock?
Do you have questions about Part 3 of Ultra Unlock? Which Pokémon are you most excited for? Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to check out our full Pokédex, as well as our in-depth Pokémon Go Fest 2021 coverage so you too can become a Pokémon Master!