Pokémon Go is hosting a new event to celebrate the new Pokémon movie: Secrets of the Jungle. In this event, Jesse and James of Team GO Rocket will guide you through the jungle in search of a Shiny Celebi. From December 14 to 17, 2020, Trainers can access Event Pokémon and Special Research. Additionally, on December 25 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time there will be an increase in sightings of Jesse and James in their Meowth hot air balloon.
What is the Secrets of the Jungle event in Pokémon Go?
The latest in a long line of Pokémon films, Secrets of the Jungle was slated to hit theaters in the summer of 2020. The film has been delayed due to the pandemic and will now launch on December 25, 2020 in and around Japan. from 2021. the United States. Secrets of the Jungle tells the story of Koko, a boy raised by Pokémon much like Tarzan. The particular Pokemon that raised Koko is a new Mythical Pokemon called Zarude. While we still don’t know much about this movie’s plot, we do know that a Shiny Celebi is also important to the story. While Zarude was brought to Pokémon Sword and Shield, Shiny Celebi is coming to Pokémon Go.
As with any Pokémon Go event, Secrets of the Jungle will bring plenty of Pokémon into the wild, raiding, and eggs. Event Pokémon will spawn in eggs within 5 km, and raids will include one and three star raids. Two new Shiny Pokémon, Durrant and Rufflet will make their Pokémon Go debut alongside Celebi.
The following Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild:
The following Pokémon will appear more in Raids:
- Pikachu Explorer *
- Exeggcute *
- Lickitung *
- Chansey *
- Pinsir *
- Mawile *
- Rye rola *
- Steering wheel *
The following Pokémon will hatch from eggs within 5 km:
The following Pokémon will appear as instant surprises:
Special research: distracted by something bright
The Secrets of the Jungle event introduces a special new line of research: Distracted by Something Shiny. Unlike the previous Special Research where Professor Willow guides trainers through their tasks, Team GO Rocket’s Jesse and James take on the task in Distracted By Something Bright. This is a four part line that ends with a meeting with Shiny Celebi.
The first step
- Transfer ten Pokémon for 20 Ultra Balls.
- Catch ten Grass-type Pokémon for a Nuzleaf encounter.
- Evolve three Grass-type Pokémon for a Cottonee encounter.
Completion rewards: encounter with Diglett, 500 Stardust, 1000 XP
- Play ten times with your Pokémon Buddy for a Poffin.
- Take a snapshot of a Grass-type Pokémon for a Combee encounter.
- Give your Pokémon Buddy ten treats for an encounter with Cherubs.
Completion rewards: Pinsir encounter *, 500 Stardust, 1000 XP
- Defeat Jesse and James four times for five Max Revives.
- Land five big Curveball throws for a Hoothoot encounter.
- Hatch three eggs for a meeting with Whimsicott.
Completion Rewards: Vibrava encounter, 500 Stardust, 1000 XP
- Automatically completed for 500 XP.
- Autocompleted for a strange encounter.
- Automatically terminated for a Foongus encounter.
Completion rewards: Shiny Celebi encounter, 500 Stardust, 1000 XP
Jesse and James
In addition to guiding the coaches through Distracted By Something Bright, Jesse and James also returned to the sky in their Meowth hot air balloon. This time, they have a new Shadow Pokémon to challenge you.
The first is Jesse with:
- Scyther *: A Bug and Flying type, Scyther has several weaknesses including Fire, Flight, Electric, and Ice, but Rock’s fourfold weakness is the one you’ll want to exploit. Aggron, Rampardos, Rhyperior, Golem, Terrakion, or Tyranitar all work very well here.
- Ekans: A Poison type, Ekans is weak against both Ground and Psychic types. However, Ekans is quite weak. Mewtwo, Alakazm or Gardevoir could all work well here. Alternatively, you can place Metagross or any other Pokémon you plan to use against Stantler, in order to develop their charged attack.
- Stantler: As a normal type, Stantler’s only weakness is the combat types. However, due to its potential move set, the Steel and Rock types are your best bet here. Metagross, Regirock, Jirachi, or Cobalion are all great choices here.
After beating Jesse, James is with:
- Pinsir *: A type of bug, James’ first Pokémon is Pinsir. Low for Flying, Rock, and Fire types, large counters include Ho-oh, Moltres, Chandelure, or Lugia.
- Koffing: A Poison type, Koffing is weak against both Ground and Psychic types. However, Koffing is also very weak. Golurk, Excadrill, Jirachi, Lugia or Landorus all work well here.
- Make-Up: Another fairly weak type of Poison, the Pokemon you use against Koffing will work well here and will likely have its charged attack ready.
By defeating Jesse, you can catch a Shadow Scyther with the potential to be Shiny, and by defeating James, you can catch a Shadow Pinsir with the potential to be Shiny. Jesse and James will also appear more often on December 25 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. local time.
Note: Jesse and James qualify to beat two Team GO Rocket Grunts in Research Tasks.
Avatar style shop
Two new outfits are also present in the Avatar Style section of the PokéShop. Trainers using a male avatar will be able to claim an outfit based on James’ outfit from Secrets of the Jungle, while trainers using a female avatar will be able to claim an outfit based on Jesse’s outfit from Secrets of the Jungle. Both outfits are free and listed in the Tops section.
Do you have questions about the Secrets of the Jungle event in Pokémon Go? Have you ever met your Shiny Celebi? Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to check out our best Pokémon Go accessories, so you can be well equipped for your Pokémon journey!