Pokémon GO GBL Season 5 begins on November 9 at 1:00 pm (GMT-8). As with Season 4, Season 5 will only be shorter than previous seasons by three weeks and will not use grades for rank progression. Season 5 will also feature three new cups, the Little Cup, the Kanto Cup, and the Catch Cup.
Let’s dive into what’s new and what’s left in Season 5, the new Cups, and everything you need to know about Go Battle League Season 5.
That stays in season 5
- There will be no walking requirement to fight in the GO Battle League.
- The friendship level requirement to fight remotely will remain on Good Friends for Season 5. Remember that you can scan another trainer’s QR code to fight them, no matter where they are.
- Free Pikachu-inspired avatar items will continue to be Rank 7 rewards.
- You can still meet Pikachu Libre once you’ve reached Rank 10.
- The end of season rewards will be similar to those of Season 4.
- Stardust from rank 1 to rank 3.
- Stardust, TM and a Premium Battle Pass from Rank 4 to Rank 10
News of the fifth season
- Starting at Rank 7, you will have the chance to find Legendary Pokémon on the GO Battle League reward tracks. These Legendary Pokémon will be the same ones that appear simultaneously in five-star raids. The rest of the Pokémon that you can find in the reward tracks will remain unchanged from Season 4. Please note that encounters with Legendary Pokémon in the reward tracks will be available in the GO Battle League only during Season 5.
- If you finish Season 5 at Rank 7 or higher, you will receive an Elite FastTM instead of an Elite ChargedTM.
- Rank progression this season will be based on effort rather than ratings.
- To reach rank 2, you must complete a certain number of battles.
- To reach ranks 3 to 10, you must win a certain number of battles.
Cups Season 5
The little cup
Dates: From Monday, November 9, 2020 at 1:00 pm to Monday, November 16, 2020 at 1:00 pm PST (GMT −8).
- Only Pokémon that can evolve and have not evolved even once are eligible.
- The CP limit is 500.
The Kanto Cup
Dates: From Monday, November 16, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. As of Monday, November 23, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. M. PST (GMT -8).
- Only Pokémon with a Pokédex number between # 001 and # 151 are eligible.
- The CP limit is 1,500.
The catch cup
Dates: From Monday, November 23, 2020 at 1:00 pm to Monday, November 30, 2020 at 1:00 pm PST (GMT −8).
- Only Pokémon that have been caught since the beginning of Season 5 are eligible.
- The CP limit is 1,500.
- Mythical Pokémon, such as Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, and Victini, are not eligible for the Catch Cup.
New and updated movements
The following new attack will be added to Pokémon GO:
New Move: Incinerate
New Learning Sets: Flame Charge
The following Pokémon can learn an attack that it couldn’t before.
Updated Move: Poison Sting
The Poison-type Rapid Attack Poison Sting will now generate more Energy, allowing Pokémon like Vespiquen, Drapion, and Whirlipede to use their Charged Attacks more often.