Today, Niantic announced an upcoming event for Pokémon Go: Throwback Challenge 2020. This new event will take place throughout the month of May, with each week a new set of timed research lines that will only be available for a limited time. These timed research lines will each include eight sets of three tasks, all focused on a specific region. The Throwback Challenge program is as follows:
- 2020 Return Challenge: Kanto Timed Research: Friday, May 1, 2020 at 1 p.m. until Friday, May 8, at 1 p.m. local time.
- 2020 Return Challenge: Johto Timed Research: Friday May 8, 2020 at 1 p.m. until Friday May 15 at 1 p.m. local time.
- 2020 Return Challenge: Hoenn Timed Research: From Friday May 15, 2020 at 1 p.m. to Friday May 22 at 1 p.m. local time.
- Throwback Challenge 2020: Sinnoh Timed Research: From Friday May 22, 2020 at 1 p.m. to Friday May 29 at 1 p.m. local time.
- 2020 Special Research Throwback Challenge Champion: From Wednesday June 3, 2020 at 1 p.m. to Monday June 8 at 1 p.m. local time.
Throwback Challenge lines will appear in Today view and, once unlocked, must be completed in a limited time. For players who complete the first four challenges, a fifth special timed search line will be unlocked during the first week of June. Niantic promises that players will be able to tackle all of these challenges in an individual setting.
Get an iPhone SE with Mint Mobile service for $ 30 / month
In addition to the numerous rewards offered for each of the task sets, the completion of the five research lines will reward players with rare candies, an avatar element based on Professor Willow’s glass and encounters with Genesect, Galarian Meowth and Galarian Stunfisk. We will cover each of these challenge weeks in more detail soon! In the meantime, be sure to check out our full Pokédex, as well as our many Pokémon Go guides so you too can become a Pokémon master!